As an AI language model, I don’t have real-time data or information on specific events or decisions made by gambling regulators. However, I can provide you with examples of controversial decisions in the gambling industry over the years, but please note that these may not be from this year specifically. Here are ten examples:
1. United States’ ban on online gambling: The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) in 2006 provoked debate and controversy by effectively outlawing online gambling in the US.
2. Loot boxes in video games: The inclusion of loot boxes, a form of gambling, in video games has raised concerns among regulators and players alike worldwide. Belgium, the Netherlands, and other countries have taken a stance against loot boxes, considering them as gambling or potential gambling mechanisms.
3. Expansion of sports betting: The decision to expand sports betting beyond traditional venues such as Las Vegas created discussions in various countries globally. The United States’ Supreme Court ruling to legalize sports betting in 2018 sparked both support and opposition.
4. Gambling advertising restrictions: Several countries and regions have imposed stricter regulations on gambling advertising due to concerns over its impact on vulnerable individuals, particularly children and problem gamblers.
5. Fixed-odds betting terminals (FOBTs) in the UK: The UK government faced criticism for delaying restrictions on FOBTs in 2018. There were concerns that these highly addictive machines were causing financial difficulties for vulnerable individuals.
6. Online gambling licensing controversies: Regulators’ decisions regarding online gambling licenses have been questioned in some cases, with accusations of favoritism and inadequate oversight.
7. The banning of certain gambling products: Various jurisdictions have banned specific gambling products, such as high-stakes pokie machines or online poker, due to concerns about the potential harm they cause.
8. Regulatory responses to problem gambling: There have been ongoing debates around the adequacy and effectiveness of regulatory measures to address problem gambling, including the provision of addiction support services and self-exclusion programs.
9. Allowance of gambling advertisements during sporting events: The decision to allow gambling advertisements during live sporting events in some countries has attracted criticism for potentially exposing vulnerable audiences to harmful gambling messaging.
10. Closure or sale of gambling establishments: The closure or sale of physical gambling establishments, such as casinos or betting shops, may raise debates around job loss, local economy impact, and the consequences faced by problem gamblers who rely on these venues.
While these examples aren’t specific to this year, they represent some of the controversial decisions that regulators have made in the gambling industry.